Overheating and related shutdown problems are very common in laptops, especially in home use.
Common symptoms include:
- Laptop is extremely hot to the touch, especially around the fan area, or directly under keyboard
- Fan seems to be running constantly, but no air seems to be coming out of the vents
- Your laptop shuts off by itself, or freezes up when playing a video
- Laptop shuts off when playing games
- The above symptom(s) appear to be getting worse over time
You can try to clean the fans yourself by gently running some compressed air BACKWARDS through the fan slits on the side/back of your laptop. Running the air backwards will help to loosen up collected dust, hair, etc. Be sure to perform this outdoors.